POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : From TORCS to POV : Re: OT - Re: From TORCS to POV Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OT - Re: From TORCS to POV
From: Verm
Date: 14 Oct 2009 18:28:34
Message: <4ad65092$1@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>> racing manually or coding ai to race?
>
>   Manually: making racing robots should be very fun, but I don't have the
> skills at all...
>
>> I've some old code where I was using povray to visualise my (very)
>> primitive ai's idea of the racing line.
>>
>> Each time the ai was started it would generate an include file containing
>> the geometry of the track and a couple of iteration's of the generated
>> racing line.
>
>   That's very interesting...  I will kill for a TORCS robot that would
> generate POV-Ray splines: is this what you did?

More or less yes, it generated a 2d polygon track segment by segment
obviously you'd want a 3d spline... I've found my code (very primitive)
but I've not yet got it working in MS Visual Studio 2008 express - it
worked in VS 2005 but I've no longer got a license... I'll try but don't
hold your breath - real life gets in the way frequently :-(

>> Your images are as usual stunning - what's the render time like -
>> would video clips of races be possible?
>
>   It renders decently fast if you don't trow focal blur and area light at
> once... in the end, everything are meshes. Let's say from 15 to 30 min for
> most the images. But what is stopping me from making an animation is not
> the
> render speed, but the lack of telemetry data to control speed,
> acceleration,
> braking, etc... and of course, the skills to manage it all and translate it
> to SDL... to not talk about the free time needed. :(

As Christian mentioned - the robot AIs are freely available and the
print statements can be added to them to print out the appropriate data.