POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : From TORCS to POV : OT - Re: From TORCS to POV Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  OT - Re: From TORCS to POV
From: Verm
Date: 14 Oct 2009 12:35:01
Message: <4ad5fdb5$1@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>     TORCS looked like a very good candidate, and indeed it was possible to
> export the geometry to POV-Ray via Blender, but I didn't find any automatic
> way to get a spline for the track path (so that I could place the cars and
> camera). I then abandoned the project and started to get addicted to racing
> with TORCS... it's really fun!

racing manually
or coding ai to race?

>     But recently I figured out a way to get the track spline into POV-Ray,
> via Wings3D. The method is bit convoluted, but consists basically in
> reducing the track to a single face with hundreds (or thousands) of
> vertices, which once exported can be transformed easily into an array, and
> then into a spline.

I've some old code where I was using povray to visualise my (very)
primitive ai's idea of the racing line.

Each time the ai was started it would generate an include file
containing the geometry of the track and a couple of iteration's of the
generated racing line.

It's amusing to see such different uses for pov with Torcs.

Your images are as usual stunning - what's the render time like - would
video clips of races be possible?