POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? : Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 03:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells?
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 13 Oct 2009 12:24:43
Message: <4ad4a9cb$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/13/09 11:06, Darren New wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
> In the USA, you're legally required to accept cash (as in, federal
> reserve notes) for debts. If I owe you the money, you have to take cash.
> But if I don't *already* owe you the money, you don't have to take cash.
>
> E.g., if I walk into your restaurant, before I eat I don't owe you
> anything, so you're free to tell me that you don't take cash.

	But if I tell you this, and you eat, and then refuse to pay in anything
but cash, then I'm duty bound to take the money or let it go?

	Makes some sense - I guess that's why car rental places won't rent
unless you provide a card in advance. Probably to avoid that exact scenario.

>> Over here, though, the concept won't work. A law like that would be
>> very unpopular.
>
> And probably unconstitutional. The same laws that say "you're allowed to
> get together to complain to the government" have been applied to say
> "you're not allowed to refuse to rent one apartment to two unrelated
> families" (like, kids in college sharing a house).

	Perhaps. Not a lawyer ;-)

>> And BTW, over here if you live in city A and work in city B, your city
>> taxes go to A, and not B. So that may somewhat take care of the problem.
>
> Heh. Actually, it's more like if city A has a 10% tax and city B has a
> 7% tax, they tax you at 10%, give 7% to B and 3% to A. In other words,
> *both* places tax you, but they're nice and let you write off your taxes
> from one place on the taxes from another place.

	Really? What if A has 5% tax and B has 7% tax? I still end up paying
7%? And how much does A get?

	I've never looked into this, as I always lived in the same city where I
worked. Even more fun would be when you live in a different state from
where you work. I lived in a town right on the border, and people often
worked in a nearby city which was in the other state. I always assumed
you only paid income taxes for the state you live in.

--
An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.