POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? : Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 05:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells?
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Oct 2009 19:45:17
Message: <4ad3bf8d$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> I know, and I said: yes. I stick to that even knowing about Iraq. Of
> course I know that there are many people in your politics that are into
> it solely for their own purposes. That does not mean that the system is
> wrong. It means that you have to not vote for those people.

Sure. That can be difficult, tho, especially when you consider you only vote
for a small fraction of the people making the laws. Just saying "don't vote
for them" doesn't really work when you're a minority.

Part of the problem is we have a greater diversity in this country than most
places in Europe, too.

> If you don't do it they will never learn to think about the citizens
> first and themselves next.

I don't think they will do that if we *do* trust em. :-)

> I trust my government more than the banks. Mainly because the banks are
> after money while the government is trying to prevent people from
> getting into trouble without them doing something wrong.

I trust the banks more because I can walk away from the abusive bank. If the
government wants to do something bad to me, I can't just say "that's OK,
I'll go to the branch down the street." :-)

Certainly there are good parts of the government and bad, and the government
could do a lot more than it used to.  I think most of the bad crap really is
just in the last couple decades.

> In this crowded country there is logic to it.

It makes sense if you're more uniform in culture. It also makes sense if
there are laws that say who is allowed to live there that were passed by the
locals, and not just some official making the decision based on whether he
had enough coffee that morning.

> So nearly no income from these people, but they still have
> to do the streets, the lighting and the other infrastructure for them.

That's what property taxes are for. :-)

>  Very democratic.

If it's enforced fairly, I can understand that. If it's some local official
saying "we don't like your kind around here", that's a different matter.

> A concept that seems to be alien to many Americans.

Sadly so.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)