POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images :  : Re: Another =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?Boull=3DE9e_architecture?=3D Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?Boull=3DE9e_architecture?=3D
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Oct 2009 07:37:06
Message: <4acf2062$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht

> I too have noticed this about your images, Thomas. I have come to think of
> it as
> an aspect of your image style, your POV 'personality' as it were!
>
> It usually looks as if your fog distance is a little small. However,
> juggling
> fog distance to minimise washout and get the best depth cues (and/or sky
> gradient) is not easy. I've got it wrong before - in an effort to get a
> hazy
> atmosphere I think I overly washed out my chess-based RTC image from a
> while
> back. (My main problem is that my laptop screen is damaged, so brightness
> is
> uneven across its surface, and, coupled with the usual viewing-angle
> variations,
> makes it difficult for me to judge image brightness.)

The fog distance may certainly be a bit too small, especially when looking
at the inside of the building. However, I do not feel that as a problem and
rather welcome the wash out there, so maybe this is about differences of
perception between observers :-)

My principal test when considering fog is how crisp the foreground is
compared to the background or the middle ground. I must admit too that media
works better than fog of course, but I do not always opt for that solution.

Thomas