POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? : Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 09:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells?
From: Chambers
Date: 7 Oct 2009 23:35:13
Message: <4acd5df1$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Heh. I heard some guy got given a cheque and the customer forgot to
> actually sign it. The bank handed over the money anyway. (WTF?)

The vast majority of all checks get cleared automatically, with no human
intervention.  The software will read the routing and account
information, the amount, and look to see if something is on the
signature line which could conceivably be a signature.

As long as the check was wrinkled, it could have seen enough smudges to
assume that there was a signature there.

In cases like that, the person would have to file a dispute with the
bank, stating that they didn't write the check.  Since they *did* write
the check, they wouldn't get their money back.

If, on the other hand, the check were fraudulent, then the bank would
credit back the account holder, and deal with recovering the funds
themselves.  And believe me, banks are *very* good at recovering money
owed to them.

...Chambers