POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? : Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 03:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells?
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Oct 2009 11:27:57
Message: <4accb37d$1@news.povray.org>
>> You could have the camera write a digital signature and make it really
>> awkward to get at the encryption key [which must, necessarily, be
>> present inside the camera somewhere]. But when, if you have an image
>> in RAW format, I would imagine it's fairly easy to fake anyway.
>
> And then what? Everybody at Canon can forge image signatures?

Yeah, but that's have no motive.

A much bigger problem is that it only takes one single person to
successfully extract the key from a single camera and put that on the
Internet, and all signatures become worthless.

Alternatively, perhaps if every camera had a unique key... (Then you'd
be able to prove which camera took the shot too.)

> It's like your signature on a contract. Very rarely does someone try to
> claim that their signature isn't really what's on the contract. That's
> why the credit card companies don't care if you sign your name with a
> picture of  mickey mouse or something. The actual signature doesn't
> matter, only that you wrote on the line that says "by writing on this
> line you agree to pay."

Heh. I heard some guy got given a cheque and the customer forgot to
actually sign it. The bank handed over the money anyway. (WTF?)

>> Most people don't just happen to have a Nikon DSLR in their pocket
>> when they witness a robbery. They shoot people with camera phones and
>> stuff.
>
> Well, it's also police photographing evidence. It's not like you can
> leave the bullet casings on the floor until it's time for the trial.

Well, that's another matter entirely, yes. I think you have to take
police evidence as valid, because if the police themselves are trying to
frame somebody, there's not a lot you can do in a courtroom...