POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? : Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 03:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells?
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Oct 2009 11:20:32
Message: <4accb1c0$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> You could have the camera write a digital signature and make it really
> awkward to get at the encryption key [which must, necessarily, be
> present inside the camera somewhere]. But when, if you have an image in
> RAW format, I would imagine it's fairly easy to fake anyway.

And then what? Everybody at Canon can forge image signatures? Better (at
least legally speaking) to have the photographer say "Yes, I took that."
Then it becomes just another detail, rather than an actual piece of
evidence. I.e., it becomes a quick way of saying "this is what the
photgrapher saw" instead of having him sit and describe it.

It's like your signature on a contract. Very rarely does someone try to
claim that their signature isn't really what's on the contract. That's why
the credit card companies don't care if you sign your name with a picture of
  mickey mouse or something. The actual signature doesn't matter, only that
you wrote on the line that says "by writing on this line you agree to pay."

> Most people don't just happen to have a Nikon DSLR in their pocket when
> they witness a robbery. They shoot people with camera phones and stuff.

Well, it's also police photographing evidence. It's not like you can leave
the bullet casings on the floor until it's time for the trial.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)