POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rolling On : Re: Rolling On Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rolling On
From: Shay
Date: 30 Sep 2009 19:12:23
Message: <4ac3e5d7$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but this is actually not intended for
> the IRTC, but the "Across the Plains" TINA-CHeP contest, so this is
> unlikely to become the stage for a punk rock band or something :-)

Not disappointed at all. In fact, quite pleased to see the RTChallenge
still going on -- I've been out of touch for a while. I like the
RTChallenge concept selection and a quick visit shows some great images.

>> JRG posted a transformer model some time ago; Might be some beveling
>> solutions there if you want to see another's take on it.
>
> Way too late to go for anything other than my own framework. No time to
> learn anything new on the remaining miles ahead. (And as you can see, my
> own beveling tools take me quite some distance already :-))

I'm not suggesting otherwise, but know from my own experience with
rounding objects that one must usually select a set of compromises and
constraints which affect the structure of his model as much as did the
manufacturing constraints of a real-life steam engine's construction
affect its structure.

It is, for me, interesting and often educational to see a similar model
constructed within a different set of constraints. So interesting, in
fact, that if I were to attempt to model a locomotive, I would likely
select an extremely limiting set of constraints in order to see how the
model developed within them.

  -Shay