POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rolling On : Re: Rolling On Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rolling On
From: clipka
Date: 30 Sep 2009 13:49:41
Message: <4ac39a35$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot schrieb:

> Flange on the foreground wheel missing.... :-)

Duh... should I have been /that/ blind?

No, but the /wheel/ is :-P

This is what in railway terms was called a "blind driver" - not an
uncommon thing on the middle wheel set of steam locomotives with five
driving axles, as with a long wheelbase the flanges became a problem in
narrow curves. Even on locomotives with just 3 driving axles, it was not
uncommon to reduce the track of the outer wheel sets for the same reason.

The conical shape of the tyres still contributed to guiding the train
through curves, and the horizontally very rigid chassis made sure that
the blind wheels could not slip off the track.

Other designs empolyed a mechanism that would shift the wheelsets
horizontally against each other in curves, but it made the suspension
and the drive rods a deal more complex.

Locomotives with more than 5 driving axles almost invariably had half of
the driving wheels mounted on a bogey with separate cylinders (so-called
"articulated" locomotives).

> I am nitpicking of course.

As you see, ATM it may be difficult to out-nitpick me about my own model :-P