POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Object As Isosurfaces Experiment #12 : Re: Serious math problem... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Serious math problem...
From: clipka
Date: 27 Sep 2009 14:04:01
Message: <4abfa911$1@news.povray.org>
TC schrieb:
> Do you have any idea how to approach the complex modeling required for your
> kind of beveled surfaces using isosurfaces? Does anybody in this newsgroup?
> (Non rhetorical question - if anybody does, please tell.)

Isosurfaces generally require a "blurred" representation of an object,
with the object boundary not being defined as a 0->1 transition, but a
smooth gradient.

With such a blurred representation, the object can simply be extended by
a certain amount (by changing the threshold), which will automatically
smoothen the object.

It might also allow to interpolate, blurring the object even more, which
would automatically round off even without changing the threshold; this
will also round off not only edges, but also crevices.

> I for my part do not know how to model this properly by using just a single
> function. I doubt you would gain anything by using isosurfaces - better keep
> on using CSG.

I will - that's a given. As I said, I don't want to risk "losing steam".

 > Your model starts to look really good, though I did prefer the
> black colour you used in your next to last post... even for a preview I find
> the idea of a white steam locomotive somewhat strange. ;-)

Don't worry - the "false color" texturing is just for test renders to
verify the geometry :-)