POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rolling On : Re: Rolling On Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rolling On
From: clipka
Date: 27 Sep 2009 04:12:10
Message: <4abf1e5a@news.povray.org>
Stephen schrieb:

>> Well, I guess the locomotive will eventually share that fate. But that's
>> the idea behind it: To make something look really convincing, you have
>> to go into details up to the level where nobody will ever consciously
>> notice.
>
> Now that is what I call a hobbyist :)
> It is the doing it correctly that is important. I once knew someone who made a
> four foot model train by hand. Turning and milling the parts, threading each and
> every nut and bolt etc. A labour of love.

I've come across quite a few websites of (or about) such people during
my researches - from the HO scale enthusiast "customizing" mass product
models  for the perfectly realistic look, to people working on "1:1
scale models", i.e. restoring actual steam locomotives.

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm doing - except that I'm keeping it virtual.

(The thing I'm dreaming of is to one day build a, say, 1:16 scale model
of the Apollo lunar lander. For real, not just as a CG model.)

> Keep it up.

I'll do my best :-)