POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rolling On : Re: Rolling On Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rolling On
From: clipka
Date: 26 Sep 2009 14:22:49
Message: <4abe5bf9@news.povray.org>
William Pokorny schrieb:

> Might the "Beveled Geometry Framework" be something you'll make available at
> some point?  :-)

If you promise to not expect /too/ much magic from it... :-)

Basically, it's "only" good for making beveled prism-style objects. Any
shape that is "more 3-dimensional" than that still reqiures to put a bit
of thought into it. Many parts on that locomotive are actually composed
of multiple such beveled prisms. The cylinder block, for instance, is
comprised of about a dozen such things.

Still, that's obviously nothing compared to the roundabout 500 tori,
cylinders and planes CSG'ed together for this thing... and that's only
the cylinder block, even without the bolts :-)

With all the bells & whistles, this baby is currently comprised of some
32,000 finite objects - 13,000 alone just for bolt details (which I
virtually always leave set to low detail for my test renders :-)).
Judging from where I am right now, I expect the complete thing to end up
at somewhere around 100,000 primitives.