POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Late Thursday Abstract : Late Thursday Abstract Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Late Thursday Abstract
From: Tek
Date: 24 Sep 2009 14:39:03
Message: <4abbbcc7@news.povray.org>
I have been using this snow leopard wallpaper image
http://uneasysilence.com/media/2009/07/Rocks.jpg on my desktop at work (on a
vista machine) for a few days, and it struck me that something about the
image makes it look really 3D, as if it's really some pebbles sat just
behind the glass of my monitor.

Anyway I wanted to devise a way of getting this effect in povray, so I did
the obvious things: objects arranged close to the plane of the image, lots
of focal blur, soft radiosity-lighting. But then I came up with an unusual
idea:

I've illuminated the scene using a rectangle placed at the "position" of the
screen. i.e. I've placed the camera where my eyes are in my usual seating
position, and created a glowing (invisible) rectangle exactly covering the
area where my monitor would be, with the objects just behind that. This
glowing rectangle is meant to simulate lighting coming in from the office,
as if the monitor is a window into another world. I could perhaps get a
better effect with a gradient or even an HDR photo of myself from the
monitor's point of view! But the simple light box has achieved a nice
result.

So basically, aside from the blur, this image is what you'd see if these
objects existed just behind the glass of your monitor, and were illuminated
by light coming through your screen! The blur helps the illusion of depth,
possibly just because it's a good depth cue, or maybe it's harder for your
stereoscopic vision to judge the depth of a blurry shape, or something...
not sure.

Anyway, I like the result and it seems to make quite nice wallpaper (though
TBH I still prefer the pebbles photo).

The image took almost exactly 24 hours to render, thanks to the rather high
quality radiosity & blur!

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com