POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Rebirth round open for voting : Re: Rebirth round open for voting Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:50:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rebirth round open for voting
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 23 Sep 2009 15:11:56
Message: <4aba72fc$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> So to me, one (though not the only) guiding question for technical meri
> is, "does the scene look as /convincing/ as it is possible these days?"

	I disagree. This assumes that the be all, end all of raytracing is
photorealism. It isn't. If I want a photo, I'll just take my camera
and shoot. To me, technical merit is "how well was technique used in
the service of the concept and art?". If the concept calls for a
comics look, then the image will never be "convincing" no matter how
good the technical realisation. For example (okay, it's an
animation, but the principle is the same):
http://www.irtc.org/irtc/irtc?_n&pg=ViewSubmission&id=Animations_July
-October2000_earlyfly.mpg

		Jerome
--