POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Picking up steam... slowly... : Re: Picking up steam... slowly... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Picking up steam... slowly...
From: clipka
Date: 22 Sep 2009 15:00:51
Message: <4ab91ee3$1@news.povray.org>
Alain schrieb:

> A cylinder is much more effecient than a prism to cut holes.

Um... yes sir, but how would you cut /straight/ lines with a cylinder?

> If you cut ceveral holes using prisms, you need to evaluate each prism
> for every rays.
>
> Use two prisms, one for the faces and another for the edges, and add
> small cylinders to do the beveling between the faces and the edges.
> You'll get an union with no or very few differences or intersections.

'Scuse me, but you're not telling me anything new. I didn't want to go
into that much detail, but that's exactly how I've been doing it right
from the start, except that I didn't make use of multi-loop polygons.

(You're forgetting the spheres and tori, btw... you can't properly bevel
in 3 dimensions without those.)

 > If you use a besier spline, you can have straight and round
> parts, and do away with a good part, even all, of the cylinders. Even if
> the prism takes slightly longer to render after that, you'll gain more
> by no longer having that difference.

While this may be so, splines are (a) more cumbersome to work with than
the approach I'm using, as they are not so straightforward, to control;
(b) very difficult to smoothly interface to standard box-&-cylinder
geometry, and (c) I'd be lost with the math required to displace the
spline for the beveling job on the outline (if you know what I mean).