POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Picking up steam... slowly... : Re: Picking up steam... slowly... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Picking up steam... slowly...
From: Alain
Date: 22 Sep 2009 12:53:48
Message: <4ab9011c$1@news.povray.org>

> Thomas de Groot schrieb:
>
>> Impressive and interesting. Nice texture too. I am curious to see how
>> long you will be able to sustain the CSG construction before render
>> times become unmanageable...
>
> I guess that will not happen at all.
>
> I actually found that the detail stuff isn't so much of a problem - it
> was the big holes punched into the main struts that bogged down render
> times for some reason I didn't fully grasp. I'm using a different
> approach for them now, which is much more render-time-friendly:
> Previously, I had defined those holes separately from the struts' basic
> outline, each of these being a complex compound based on a prism shape.
> Changing this to use just one multi-loop prism made quite some difference.

A prism is not the more effecient primitive: It's relatively hard to
optimize a "free form" object.
Punching holes in any object result in bounding inefeciency, that
increases the render time.
Each and every ray that encounter the bounding box of one of the struts
needs to be tested against the strut AND every object used to make the
holes.

With the complexe prism, you now only need to test that object.

Alain