POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Domain Poisoning? : Re: Domain Poisoning? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Domain Poisoning?
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Sep 2009 08:33:10
Message: <4ab8c406$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> What happens is this: You click on a website (in my wife's case, it was
> a result form a google search, in my case, a bookmark to Tor Olav's
> website) but instead of the site you were expecting you're redirected to
> some bogus website.

> My work computer appears clean, according to the eTrust scanner. Her
> computer appears clean according to Norton. I see no suspicious
> processes running on either computer, and all settings and relevant
> registry entries look fine. WTF is happening?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dns_poisoning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharming

Certainly sounds like you're recieving bad DNS information from
somewhere or other. The question is where it's coming from.

It could be that your PC is compromosed, your ISP's DNS servers are
compromised, your local router... hard to say for sure.

It's certainly not something I've ever seen myself...