POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Domain Poisoning? : Re: Domain Poisoning? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:30:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Domain Poisoning?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 22 Sep 2009 08:28:37
Message: <4ab8c2f5$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> don't recall the article/website but I believe it's from some malware/virus
> that has redirected your local DNS settings to some spoofed DNS authority.
> maybe someone else remembers seeing this article, and can provide more
> details.

Yep. Read that article. Promptly went to my wife's notebook, and did an
ipconfig /all and the domain servers are what they should be.

According to the article I was reading, an infected computer hooks up to
the network, an uninfected computer then hooks up, and sends a DHCP
request, the infected computer then offers itself as a DNS
server...which allows the DNS poisoning.

I'm wondering if its at all possible to slip a poisoned entry into an
ISP's cache.

--
~Mike