POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Picking up steam... slowly... : Re: Picking up steam... slowly... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Picking up steam... slowly...
From: clipka
Date: 22 Sep 2009 05:14:32
Message: <4ab89578@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot schrieb:

> Impressive and interesting. Nice texture too. I am curious to see how long
> you will be able to sustain the CSG construction before render times become
> unmanageable...

I guess that will not happen at all.

I actually found that the detail stuff isn't so much of a problem - it
was the big holes punched into the main struts that bogged down render
times for some reason I didn't fully grasp. I'm using a different
approach for them now, which is much more render-time-friendly:
Previously, I had defined those holes separately from the struts' basic
outline, each of these being a complex compound based on a prism shape.
Changing this to use just one multi-loop prism made quite some difference.