POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thought for today : Re: Thought for today Server Time
28 Sep 2024 23:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought for today
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Sep 2009 18:13:34
Message: <4ab7fa8e@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> If you built a laptop where the entire lid was a solar panel, would it
> generate anywhere near enough power to run the laptop?
>
> Would it even generate enough power to recharge the battery in a
> reasonable amount of time?
>
> (For reasons unknown, Dell sent me a free gift today: A solar charger.
> Who knows, it may even be useful...)

Nope. I looked into it, even the EeePC line takes enough power to
operate that you would need one of those folding panel things they now
make, which unfolds to about 6'x4', if I remember right. Or, more
specifically, you could probably manage it with like 5'x3', or
something, but they don't make ones that size. One the size of the back
of a laptop would only net you probably 30-40% (guessing) of the power
needed, and that is without peripherals of any kind.

Recharging is a little less of an issue, but its going to take time to
do it, and probably longer than a wall plug.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();