POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Low-level fun : Re: Low-level fun Server Time
29 Sep 2024 03:14:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Low-level fun
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Sep 2009 14:32:42
Message: <4ab7c6ca$1@news.povray.org>
>> Wanna take a guess how many people have bothered to reply?
>
> Hm... a single one, who promptly got stoned for that? :-P

Er, actually zero.

That's the thing about Haskell. If you pop in and say "what the heck
does 'monad' mean?" you'll get about 25 replies in less than 60 seconds.
(NO I AM NOT EXAGGERATING! I've seen it happen *so many* times.)
Actually, for THAT question, most of the replies will be "read this
reference manual / blog post / text book". But if you ask something
slightly less commonly asked, you'll get 25 people explain it to you 25
different ways - one of which will hopefully make some sort of sense to you.

But, if you ask a question such as "why doesn't this work on Windows?"
you will be greeted by deathly silence. Indeed, there are whole classes
of questions which nobody will answer.

So basically, if you're a newbie and you're asking "easy" questions,
you'll get a flood of replies and quickly conclude that Haskell has a
vibrant and friendly community behind it. But as soon as you start
asking "difficult" or just "uninteresting" questions... you'll form
another opinion. *sigh*

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/