POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thought for today : Re: Thought for today Server Time
28 Sep 2024 23:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought for today
From: Verm
Date: 21 Sep 2009 09:10:12
Message: <4ab77b34$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Invisible schrieb:

> With a laptop about as large as an A4 sheet of paper - about 100 square
> inch - that would give you... 7 Watts. Not /quite/ the order of
> magnitude you'd probably need...

That's nearly enough to power a low-power laptop.
The OLPC (one laptop per child) scheme says their laptops are limited to
use 15 Watts
http://laptop.org/en/laptop/hardware/specs.shtml

So 7 watts is nearly there - you could fit a fold-out panel on the back
of the laptop or do something cunning with mirrors / fresnel lenses to
focus more sun on the panel.

I believe my mini ITX server uses 10 - 20 W depending on load and it's a
1 Ghz machine with a fullsize hard drive but no display and it's not the
most efficient design out there.

On the other hand "my" blade centre with 12 quad core servers in it uses
1700 W which is more than 3x my house's average consumption.