POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thought for today : Re: Thought for today Server Time
28 Sep 2024 23:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought for today
From: scott
Date: 21 Sep 2009 08:28:55
Message: <4ab77187@news.povray.org>
> Wait - I thought that was still science fiction? You mean people somewhere
> *actually do this* now??

The company I work for made 600 MW of solar panels in 2006 (that's the
latest figures I could find), I'm sure it's gone up lots since then.  Drive
around any village around here and you're bound to see at least a few houses
or barns covered in them.

> I rather suspect not. Turn on the kettle, the toaster and the microwave
> oven at the same time (not implausible) and you're now sucking down
> double-digit kW values.

Sure, but what's the average power over a longer period of time?  You can
easily calculate this from your power bill.  IIRC for me it was around 300W,
and yes I have a fridge, freezer, TV, computer etc.  Even fridges and
freezers are not actually on continuously.

If you assume I'll get 2 hours a day sunlight on average (this is a big
underestimate, especially as the panels generate a reduced level of power
even when it's cloudy), that means I would need 3600W of solar panels, or an
area roughly 6x6 metres.  Doesn't seem that outrageous.

> Actually, I guess the *main* difference would be that if you live in the
> Sahara, you don't give a **** about electricity, but you urgently need to
> find a crapload of water real soon now...

Funny, when I was in the Sahara desert, the villages there had a perfectly
fine water supply, also ATM machines, mobile phone coverage, etc.