POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thought for today : Re: Thought for today Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought for today
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Sep 2009 06:45:11
Message: <4ab75937@news.povray.org>
>> Now then, what do you suppose the total area of my roof is? (Are solar
>> panels even waterproof?!)
>
> Of course they are waterproof, they are also lots-of-snow and
> big-lumps-of-ice proof.  Otherwise people wouldn't put them on their
> roof. FWIW there are different ratings depending on how much snow-load
> you want to support.

Wait - I thought that was still science fiction? You mean people
somewhere *actually do this* now??

>> So, let's see... *almost* enough power to run half a vacuum cleaner.
>
> Sure, but you don't run that very often.

Not in *this* house. ;-) The kettle gets far more use... oh, wait...

> Usually the power company will
> buy back any excess power you don't use (which I suspect is most of the
> time when it's sunny), and of course if you need more you can buy it
> from them too.  I wouldn't be surprised if you got a negative power bill
> overall without too many panels.

I rather suspect not. Turn on the kettle, the toaster and the microwave
oven at the same time (not implausible) and you're now sucking down
double-digit kW values. Plus all those things like the freezer which you
never, ever turn off. I doubt you can power an entire building full of
stuff and show a positive net balance for more than an hour or so a day.

Unless you live in the mediterranian, perhaps. (Remember, I live in
Britain, a nation famous for its rain.)

>> I wonder if it would make a difference living in the Sahara?
>
> The main difference would be due to how many hours of sunlight you got
> on average each day, somewhere where it rains the whole time is not
> likely a good idea.

Actually, I guess the *main* difference would be that if you live in the
Sahara, you don't give a **** about electricity, but you urgently need
to find a crapload of water real soon now...