POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thought for today : Re: Thought for today Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought for today
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Sep 2009 06:19:50
Message: <4ab75346@news.povray.org>
>> I'm just curios as to whether a solar panel that size can generate
>> enough current to be useful, that's all.
>
> About 100W / m^2 *roughly* from what I remember.

Check it out:

http://blog.orphi.me.uk/about/power

You'll notice that I mainly measured high-power devices anyway, but still...

(I love the way turning my PC on requires 50% more power than playing a
3D-intensive computer game...)

Now then, what do you suppose the total area of my roof is? (Are solar
panels even waterproof?!) With all that area, you could generate...
almost 1 kW. On a sunny day.

So, let's see... *almost* enough power to run half a vacuum cleaner.

I wonder if it would make a difference living in the Sahara?