POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Low-level fun : Re: Low-level fun Server Time
29 Sep 2024 03:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Low-level fun
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Sep 2009 15:05:26
Message: <4ab67cf6$1@news.povray.org>
>> The documentation seems to suggest that MS COM is based on some
>> open-standard COM with a few extensions, and that it's *supposed* to
>> interoperate with other implementations of that standard.
>
> I see.  The number of "standard" implementations of the same idea is
> tremendous.

It's meant to be an extension of DCE RPC. (Indeed, I recall Ethereal
used to mark the packets as such...)

>> (Admittedly, if it's anything like IE and its "standards", this won't
>> be much fun...)
>
> To be fair, a lot of what IE does was done before the post-hoc standards
> were written. Backward compatibility is a bitch.

Heh. And yet, IE6 is still horribly broken, years after those standards
were written.

>> Give me ARexx any day. :-P
>
> Agreed. That was pretty cool.

...although possibly not for exchanging large quantities of data, or
doing crazy stuff like embedding one document inside another. But for
simple scripting, it sure made everything... simple.

Still, maybe WSH does the same.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/