POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Low-level fun : Re: Low-level fun Server Time
29 Sep 2024 01:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Low-level fun
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Sep 2009 13:56:29
Message: <4ab66ccd$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yeah, MS asserts that COM is usable on other platforms as well.
>
> I think what they mean is that COM, in *theory*, can be ported to other
> platforms. In much the same way that .NET can be reimplemented on other
> platforms.

The documentation seems to suggest that MS COM is based on some
open-standard COM with a few extensions, and that it's *supposed* to
interoperate with other implementations of that standard.

(Admittedly, if it's anything like IE and its "standards", this won't be
much fun...)

>> Anybody know how you actually do this?
>
> We had to write dcom libraries to link to Tcl to do this. It was pretty
> ugly, and very fragile.

Heh. Fun.

Give me ARexx any day. :-P

--