POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Firefox is strange : Re: Firefox is strange Server Time
29 Sep 2024 01:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Firefox is strange
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 17 Sep 2009 11:59:51
Message: <4ab25cf7$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Patrick Elliott schrieb:
>> One thing I have a huge issue with is Flash. Seems to be a leak in
>> there some place, when playing movies, where it will *refuse* to close
>> at all, since it can't unload the fragmented mess created by playing
>> too many of them. It gets worse if I have a lot of tabs open. In fact,
>> when ever I get high CPU usage, or slow shut down, or even slow
>> performance in other applications, its almost *always* the result of
>> playing several Youtube videos, and the fact that I leave firefox open
>> all the time.

My laptop (C2D T5600, Linux x86_64) isn't fast enough to play most
flashvideos in the browser. If I download the video with eg. youtube-dl,
MPlayer plays the video with 1% CPU usage max.

That's just incredible piece of shit.

> After all, really the only thing that bothers me about IE8 is that for
> the 64-bit version (which I've made standard on my Windows XP x64
> system) Adobe hasn't released a Flash player yet (can it really be
> *that* much of a problem?), so I always need to explicitly launch the
> 32-bit version.

IIRC the Linux community waited 5 years (2004-2009 (I'm not perfectly
sure if they released it 2009 or 2008)) to get 64-bit Alpha-version of
Flash released. The quality is still incredibly low.

I wouldn't hold my breath...

-Aero