POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The cure is a hundred times worse than the disease? : Re: The cure is a hundred times worse than the disease? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 01:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The cure is a hundred times worse than the disease?
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 17 Sep 2009 09:18:30
Message: <4ab23726$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=2810#1

>> it's more like 250,000. The number that are reported missing is over
>> 750,000.
>
>    I think that the article I read was referring to the 115 which get killed
> each year by their kidnappers.
>
>    I wonder how many of those abduction reports are caused by panicking
> parents, without the child having been really abducted. I wonder that if
> they call the next day to the police to say "we are sorry, it was false
> alarm", if it still is counted in the statistics of abduction reports.

 >    My suspicion is that those numbers are greatly inflated by a (mostly
 > false) moral panic in the US.

	I doubt it. As I said, the "great" concern is more a media myth than in
reality. And as Darren pointed out, most of the kidnappings are within
the family (say, after a divorce), which makes sense.

	In any case, the numbers I gave for 1999 indicate that over 15000
abducted kids were sexually assaulted - I doubt those were made up.

	And yes, the number of confirmed dead is on the order of 100. But if
you're a parent, death isn't the only concern. Being kidnapped for a few
days is bad enough.

--
Clones are people two.