POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : opal : Re: opal Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:31:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: opal
From: stbenge
Date: 12 Sep 2009 20:59:13
Message: <4aac43e1$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> stbenge wrote:
>
>> It's a mesh stone shape, with many mesh inclusions. Each inclusion is
>> a disc-shaped chip, colored randomly, and given a specular highlight
>> with a metallic value of one to really bring out the color. They were
>> placed randomly. The ones residing inside the stone were rendered, the
>> rest were not.
>
> I was wondering how you could simulate the fire effect that opals have.
> Very tough thing to simulate in CG, if you ask me. I've not attempted
> this, but I have given it some thought.

To model it accurately would require more time than we have, I think. We
might be able to place hollow inclusions within the stone which have a
regular surface normal (like "quilted" or "leopard"), and add dispersion
on top of that.

> BTW, I built a nice list of dispersion and IOR values for many types of
> gemstones/minerals. Does anyone think this could be of utility at all?

There is already such a utility called NewIOR.INC by Sven-Erik Andersen.
I use it a reference, since I like to build my materials myself. But if
you can improve on it (and maybe implement a birefringence model), then
I'll take a look at it. I still haven't rendered calcite :)

Sam