POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Test Images Wanted : Re: Test Images Wanted Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test Images Wanted
From: clipka
Date: 12 Sep 2009 08:59:00
Message: <4aab9b14$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen schrieb:
>>> POT
>> As far as I know, the WinFract (?) is the only program that generates POT
>> files... or am I wrong?
>
> And Fractint ;)

Hum... maybe then I need to hack my own? I gather they're actually GIF
file "containers", with the data encoded as two side-by-side images, the
left one carrying the high-order byte and the right one the low-order
byte (with the color palette apparently being ignored). So it shouldn't
be too difficult to construct: All I probably need to do is convert to
greyscale, expand the canvas to the right, fill up with black or just
some random noise, convert to indexed colors (making sure the export
color palette is a continuous grey scale), and save as GIF, right?

The only problem I see is that this might accidently add some gamma (or
other nonlinear influence) to the picture that is not intended, and
defies the original purpose of my request, which is to get the gamma
conversion right for all input formats.

Any idea how to get this straight?