POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shiny things! : Re: Shiny things! Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shiny things!
From: Alain
Date: 6 Sep 2009 12:51:49
Message: <4aa3e8a5$1@news.povray.org>

> I did a brilliant round cut a few years ago, but was never satisfied
> with the results.  They just never had the level of sparkle that I see
> in real diamonds.  Looking at the light traces, I suspect that my
> parameters may be suboptimal.  (I got the parameters from a Web site
> that appears to have passed on.)
>
> I also suspect a bug (feature?) in dispersion: renders seem to be darker
> than without dispersion.  It just occurred to me that the multiple
> reflections and refractions in a cut gem could possibly exacerbate the
> problem.
>
> I know Chris B. will show up to buttonhole us any second now, so I'll
> just say that I've been shy about submitting this, because of my
> dissatisfaction of the sparkle, but also because I fear that, with just
> the one cut, the module lacks generality.

Just a few remarks:
You may need a stronger dispersion, and probably more dispersion_samples.
Your specular highlights look like they are not sharp enough.
If using phong, try to multiply phong_size by around 100.
If using specular, try dividing roughness by around 100.
If you use a look_like for your light_source, try yo mage it smaller, or
put the light farther away.

Your transmit or filter value may be set to low, make it much closer to
1. Filter + transmit should add to 1 or almost 1.

Add some variable reflection and don't forget fresnel and conserve_energy.

When you add dispersion, the intensity get spread out. So, it's only
normal that the result looks darker. A solution is to mage the
light_source slightly stronger.

Adding photons can also add a great deal in realism.

Alain