POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing around with SSLT : Re: Playing around with SSLT Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing around with SSLT
From: clipka
Date: 4 Sep 2009 02:35:45
Message: <4aa0b541@news.povray.org>
Robert McGregor schrieb:
> I can't seem to stop toying with it now (I'm sure you can all understand that).

Sure! And I'm pretty envious that you got Lucy in POV format... MeshLab
crashes on me when I try to load her.

> So, after many more tweaks I've got it looking like I wanted - more subtle. But
> I've noticed that whatever texture I use it seems to sort of fade away,
> "overpowered" by the SSLT. I've tried all kinds of different SSLT parameters
> and diffuse settings(even the ones from the Jenson, et. al. 2001 SIGGRAPH
> paper).
>
> Am I missing something simple here? Anyone have some tips on retaining my
> texture colors/details and still getting the cool SSLT scattering?

You're missing something indeed: The "safety notes" that came with the
change description :-P

SSLT is still very, very alpha stage, and just hasn't had the time to be
integrated with features such as textures, photons or what-have-yous.
The time will come, I promise :-)

You can try layered textures though, with a filtering layer over the
SSLT one. I guess that should work.