POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : I think warp is right ... 3.7 gamma : Re: I think warp is right ... 3.7 gamma Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think warp is right ... 3.7 gamma
From: Warp
Date: 3 Sep 2009 06:33:42
Message: <4a9f9b86$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> As I've pointed out to Warp about half a dozen of times, it is the
> /input file/ gamma handling that's broken indeed.

  If the output of POV-Ray is perfect, then why does POV-Ray produce
*different* results when outputting to TGA or BMP than it does when
outputting to PNG?

  You have yet not answered that question (nor the others I have made).

  If your answer is something along the lines of the output to other
file formats being broken (which would already contradict what you have
said), then you'll have to explain the purpose of File_Gamma. If PNG
output is the only output format which is not broken, and File_Gamma has
zero net effect on the result when outputting to PNG (any change in the
pixel data is countered by the reverse change in the gamma metadata),
then what exactly is the purpose of File_Gamma?

  You will also have to explain why POV-Ray displays on screen an image
which is different from what it writes to the PNG file, even though
Display_Gamma and File_Gamma have been set to the same value. I'm not
getting what I'm seeing. Coincidentally (not), when outputting to some
other image file format, such as TGA, the resulting image is identical
to what POV-Ray showed on screen.

  If your answer to this is also that the image preview is broken, then
you'll likewise will have to explain the purpose of Display_Gamma if, in
your opinion, it should have zero effect on what POV-Ray displays on screen.