POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 09:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Jim Charter
Date: 30 Aug 2009 17:01:55
Message: <4a9ae8c3$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> IMO a big part of it is denial of preventative care because the doctor is/
> was "out of network" or some other bizzare reason.  So rather than
> prevent us from getting sick, they'd rather things get bad enough that we
> have to go for a major visit.
>
> On a smaller scale, I went to get my teeth and gums cleaned.  The dentist
> said that my gums were bad enough that he wanted me to see a periodontist
> for my cleanings for the next year.
>
> But my insurance company doesn't cover *preventative* periodontal care;
> it's only covered if I've had periodontal surgery, which means I hadn't
> let things get *bad enough*.  So the incentive is to let things get worse
> so I need surgery, then I can get my teeth cleaned.
>
> And of course my dentist didn't know this about my plan (how could he
> keep track of everyone's plan's limitations?), and my read of the plan
> was that it as covered.
>

> And when they get worse, that drives the costs up.  I'm know the
> insurance company saved about $500 by not paying out on my claim, but if
> I'd let it get to the point where I needed surgery, it sure as hell
> would've cost them more than $500.
>
> This is what pisses me off when people who aren't in favour of universal
> health care say "we don't want a bureaucrat dictating what we can and
> cannot have" - because we already *have* that.

Yes, well understanding exactly what we have, ie. how such decisions are
being made, and how it malfunctions is a big part of the problem.  The
question does become, can something government-run really do better.

I can speculate about the anedotal examples you offer, (and I can match
them, and so can others I know), and try to extrapolate from there and
form ideas how free enterprise falls short.

I would suppose it is more cost effective for insurance companies to try
and expunge demographic groups from the insurance roles. I would suppose
it is easier for them to quantify the costs from groups based on
demographics or certain ailments, than for them to try and quantify the
cost effectiveness of various preventative or alternative treatments, in
detail, across a broad range of ailments.  Otherwise, if the anecdotes
you, I, and everyone else can offer are true, there should be an
incentive for an insurance company to make good decisions around these
issues.  But only if the cost of determining such good decisions costs
less than what is saved.  Also it would seem true that a company could
enter the market with some success by covering such treatments.

So one wonders now much it would cost to identify such cost saving
improvements. And if a government run program could really contaon cost
any better.

Also if many cost saving improvements would even gain traction with the
public. Especially without the support of doctors.  To be honest many of
my personal stories of excessive costs seem to point directly at the
physician.*  I can see how insurance companies are incentivised to
contain costs.  I don't see why doctors necessarily are.

*A urologist who tried to rush me into expensive surgery as a fertility
treatment. When the mundane, and cost free solutiion, cooler baths, was
arrived at by my chiropractor, he actually tried to schedule surgery
before the effectiveness of the mundane solution could be confirmed with
test results.
*An alternative treatment, not covered by insurance, for a back ailment
that allowed my boss's mother to walk out of the office unassisted,
having entered using crutches
*Recently a doctor prescribing Nexium to my 21 year old son for acid
reflux.  Nexium is the most heavy-duty of the available breed of
medicines for that ailment, and, the most expensive of that breed by at
least a factor of two.  The treatment plan was: 'use as needed.' Huh?