POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 15:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Aug 2009 18:35:44
Message: <4a985bc0$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:29:44 -0500, Shay wrote:

>> No, because the cost of health care is high enough that at minimum
>> wage, you'd never actually earn enough to afford it.
>
> Not true for a young person. Now, he's not going to have health
> insurance + car + his own apartment + cigarettes + beer, but $300 a
> month will get insurance + yearly deductible + copays.

The young people you know are pretty atypical, unless you're talking
about kids still living with their parents.  In which case that saves you
money because they're still covered by their parents' insurance.

> I'm not talking about minimum wage anyway. I'm talking about minimum
> wage + tips, overtime, or a cot.

Yeah, and I'm sure that will still not be enough for them to afford a
decent plan.

>> Plus if he's working overtime to make the money to afford it, and gets
>> sick, he needs to take time off (would you give him paid time off?) to
>> go to the doctor.
>
> There's no need for paid time off. When at work, I work 84 hours a week.
> A person can make a trip to the doctor and still get 40-50 work hours
> out of 84.

Ah, so you're a bloody slave driver.  Gotcha.  Remind me NEVER to work
for you.

> Now if the guy gets a flu and is bedridden for a week, I'll pay him if
> he's worth the expense to keep, but I don't owe someone a new kidney
> just because he mops my floor.

But at the same time, you pay him not quite enough for him to live if he
can't afford the kidney operation.  Let's see, kidney operation or
eating.  Kidney operation or paying the rent.

Nice compassion.

>> Would you give him paid time off to do preventative health tasks?
>
> Better yet, why don't I give him paid time off to work a second job?
> Then he could afford plenty of preventative health care.
>
>   -Shay - who actually spent years working for minimum wage and less.

You ain't the only one whose worked for minimum wage and less.

Jim