POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 15:30:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Shay
Date: 28 Aug 2009 16:28:28
Message: <4a983dec$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:18:04 -0500, Shay wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> If costs come down, that's a good thing, right?
>>>
>>> When you open your coffee shop and expand to the point you need
>>> employees, are you going to give them health care?  If so, good for
>>> you.
>> What if I instead allowed him to work overtime, put out a tip jar, or
>> sleep in the storage closet so that he could provide for his own
>> health-care? That wouldn't do, would it?
>
> No, because the cost of health care is high enough that at minimum wage,
> you'd never actually earn enough to afford it.

Not true for a young person. Now, he's not going to have health
insurance + car + his own apartment + cigarettes + beer, but $300 a
month will get insurance + yearly deductible + copays.

I'm not talking about minimum wage anyway. I'm talking about minimum
wage + tips, overtime, or a cot.

> Plus if he's working overtime to make the money to afford it, and gets
> sick, he needs to take time off (would you give him paid time off?) to go
> to the doctor.

There's no need for paid time off. When at work, I work 84 hours a week.
A person can make a trip to the doctor and still get 40-50 work hours
out of 84.

Now if the guy gets a flu and is bedridden for a week, I'll pay him if
he's worth the expense to keep, but I don't owe someone a new kidney
just because he mops my floor.

> Would you give him paid time off to do preventative health tasks?

Better yet, why don't I give him paid time off to work a second job?
Then he could afford plenty of preventative health care.

  -Shay - who actually spent years working for minimum wage and less.