POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 13:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Chambers
Date: 28 Aug 2009 11:21:41
Message: <4a97f605$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
>> and Obama is trying to give something back to us.  I say, let him.
>
> At the expense of our progeny.

One of the reasons for healthcare reform is to try to control the
spiralling costs of healthcare.  If we *don't* do anything now, then our
progeny are screwed.  If, on the other hand, we can successfully reform
healthcare, then our progeny might be able to afford it themselves.

> It's you who don't get the argument, because to a person like yourself,
> the corporations are always "they" and the government, the giant entity
> which consistently operates at a profit to its members and a loss to its
> shareholders, is always "we."

You're confusing me with someone else.  In fact, I'm one of the few
people I know who consistently defends corporations and their actions.

Most corporations aren't any more evil than most people are.

> WE need to print more money.

Over time, we actually do.

> WE need to to take more from the tax-payers.

Not necessarily, however it's a fact that right now taxes are quite low
(compared to historic levels).  At one point in the US, the tax rate was
closer to 60%.

> WE need to control industry.

Only when industry has demonstrated irresponsibility that threatens the
welfare (physical or otherwise) of those around them, and has shown
themselves unable or unwilling to control themselves.

> What the statist doesn't understand is that, with one tiny shift, you're
> not in the WE anymore.

The only way I won't be in the "we" anymore is if the US declares I'm
not a citizen.

"We" is not the ruling majority.
"We" is everyone involved; that is, ALL citizens of the US.

>> UHC is a much more worthy expense than, say, someone's pet war half
>> the world away (plus, it has the added bonus of increasing quality of
>> life, which has a corresponding effect on productivity, in the end
>> benefiting our economy).
>
> And having ceded 1/6 of our means to the government, what makes you so
> certain they'll continue to use those means for "worthy expenses"?

Absolutely nothing.  That's why I'm going to continue to watch
government over the years, instead of blindly trusting them.  However,
that's not going to stop me from supporting good programs that can help
people.

...Chambers