POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A long track to go : Re: A long track to go Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A long track to go
From: Alain
Date: 27 Aug 2009 19:48:01
Message: <4a971b31$1@news.povray.org>

> AWESOME good looking animation! Just let the wheels turn in the right
> direction...
>
> The wheels turn clockwise when the motive gear turns anti-clockwise? Is this
> an error in the animation or am I missing something? Even going downhill the
> wheels should turn the same direction as the gears.
>
> BTW: here's a link to an animation (less beautiful - more technical)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Walschaerts_motion.gif
>

> "clipka" <ano### [at] anonymousorg> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> s.day schrieb:
>>> http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2006-08-31/oldroyal.jpg
>>>
>>> I even had a go at animating the wheels..
>> That's really impressive quality. (You're aware though that the animation
>> must be from a train going downhill? The reverse lever is apparently at
>> neutral, effectively locking the valve in dead center position so it
>> doesn't admit any steam to the cylinder...)
>>
>> Would you mind me using parts of your code? (Probably not, or you wouldn't
>> have published the code in the first place, but I rather ask anyway.)

It's just an illusion.
You can, sometimes, see just the same in a movie.

I remember one where you see a big agricole tractor spoked weel complete
with heavy treads and 2 circles of bolts. You had the illusion that the
treads and one circle of bolts where turning backward, at different
speeds, one circle of bolts turned veeeeryyyy sloooowly in the right
ditection, and the spokes turned to fast in the correct direction.

It was facinating :)

Alain