POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A long track to go : Re: A long track to go Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A long track to go
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 26 Aug 2009 23:39:32
Message: <4a95fff4$1@news.povray.org>
s.day wrote:

> Thanks for the link, the wheels are turning in the right direction, it is just
> an illusion that make it look like they are not. The whole wheel object is
> rotated so if they were not turning the correct way the part where the lever is
> attached would also go the wrong way.
>
> Even though I knew this I had to colour the spokes individually to make sure I
> had not made some mistake somewhere as the effect just doesn't look right.
>
> Sean

It's just the same stroboscopic effect you often see in movies where the
wagon wheels appear to go backward.

It's basically this -- assume for example, the spokes are 10 degrees
apart and the timing lets them move 8 degrees clockwise each frame.
This will give the appearance of them moving 2 degrees counterclockwise
each frame.  Perhaps you can play with the timing to come up with better
results, but I have no specific suggestions of how to do this.

      -=- Larry -=-