POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rusty Thing on Beach : Re: Rusty Thing on Beach Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:12:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rusty Thing on Beach
From: stbenge
Date: 24 Aug 2009 04:49:41
Message: <4a925425@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> stbenge schrieb:
>> clipka wrote:
>>> (BTW, someone's asking in povray.newusers for advice on your fastprox
>>> macros... and speaking of them, do you have them for download anywhere?)
>>
>> There is a pattern which is much easier to use than fastprox. I posted
>> it also to p.t.s-f. It's actually much more accurate than the "fast"
>> prox macros, as evidenced by the attached image. It also produces
>> outside edge data.
>
> It also seems to give much cleaner results than my reusing radiosity data.

In a way, this is true. But my methods wreak havoc upon memory and CPU
usage.

> A drawback I see is that it gives only a falloff to a certain distance
> from edges and crevices, then stays level, right?

Right. A disruption in space by an object continues only to a finite,
specified distance from the object by way of 3D averaging of point data.
Objects must be predeclared which is a big drawback.

> At the same time there are benefits of course:
>
> - It can be used to model an object with dirty crevices and worn-out
> edges that has recently been transported to someplace else; my approach
> can only detect proximity to /any/ geometry, and cannot easily be
> limited to a subset of the scene geometry (let alone some geometry that
> isn't even in the scene).

Is this good or bad for your method? It seems that having access to
~any~ scene geometry is good. My method is restrictive and costly for
high numbers of objects.

> - It is a true 3D pattern; my approach is only suitable for object
> surfaces, and is therefore unsuited for use in media density, or in a
> pattern function (which in turn could probably be used to generate a
> smoothed version of the object using isosurfaces - what a powerful tool
> for beveling that would be!).

That's the best part I suppose, it's 3D. But I've used it for
isosurfaces and media, and let me say, the results are a mixed bag. Good
surface exploration, sure, but bad, bad render times.

> Maybe it would really be a good thing to go for a voxel-based approach,
> in hope to combine the quality of your approach with the speed gained
> through caching data (you wouldn't want /all/ those N inside-tests to be
> executed for /each/ iteration step of /every/ ray-object intersection
> test to be performed on an isosurface... >_<)

You're very right, I wouldn't and I don't. What looks good as a pigment
becomes very ugly when used as an isosurface. Actually, it looks great
when you overload pigment_pattern lists with 256*256 pattern samples,
keep the accuracy low and the max grad high. Not that I've done it, not
that I want to, not that I need to learn patience some time ;)