POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rusty Thing on Beach : Re: Rusty Thing on Beach Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rusty Thing on Beach
From: clipka
Date: 24 Aug 2009 04:21:00
Message: <4a924d6c$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> (BTW, someone's asking in povray.newusers for advice on your fastprox
>> macros... and speaking of them, do you have them for download anywhere?)
>
> There is a pattern which is much easier to use than fastprox. I posted
> it also to p.t.s-f. It's actually much more accurate than the "fast"
> prox macros, as evidenced by the attached image. It also produces
> outside edge data.

It also seems to give much cleaner results than my reusing radiosity data.

A drawback I see is that it gives only a falloff to a certain distance
from edges and crevices, then stays level, right?

At the same time there are benefits of course:

- It can be used to model an object with dirty crevices and worn-out
edges that has recently been transported to someplace else; my approach
can only detect proximity to /any/ geometry, and cannot easily be
limited to a subset of the scene geometry (let alone some geometry that
isn't even in the scene).

- It is a true 3D pattern; my approach is only suitable for object
surfaces, and is therefore unsuited for use in media density, or in a
pattern function (which in turn could probably be used to generate a
smoothed version of the object using isosurfaces - what a powerful tool
for beveling that would be!).

Maybe it would really be a good thing to go for a voxel-based approach,
in hope to combine the quality of your approach with the speed gained
through caching data (you wouldn't want /all/ those N inside-tests to be
executed for /each/ iteration step of /every/ ray-object intersection
test to be performed on an isosurface... >_<)