POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rusty Thing on Beach : Re: Rusty Thing on Beach Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rusty Thing on Beach
From: clipka
Date: 24 Aug 2009 03:53:25
Message: <4a9246f5@news.povray.org>
stbenge schrieb:
> I had a lot more to say, but Thunderbird let me send it into the void
> accidentally. Basically, I was getting into the possibility of reversing
> inside/outside surface evaluation to obtain both inside/outside edge
> data and displaying it as a pattern: where black is a crevice, gray is a
> flat surface, and white is a peak. It might take twice as long to parse
> though :(

You're making a point there. Strange that I didn't think of that myself:
After all, I did come up with that backside illumination thing, which
(among other) engages radiosity in just this manner. So yes, the
radiosity code /could/ just as well be used to detect outward edges as well.

If it's done smart enough, the radiosity code could be used in a
"lightweight" variant for surfaces that want edge proximity but not
backside radiosity illumination, so that could somewhat keep the
rendering time from exploding: After all, in those cases sample rays
need to be shot only to determine the distance to nearby objects in that
direction, without the need to do any texture computations there.