POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rusty Thing on Beach : Re: Rusty Thing on Beach Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rusty Thing on Beach
From: clipka
Date: 23 Aug 2009 18:58:11
Message: <4a91c983$1@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge schrieb:
> I think C. Lipka's pattern is more like ambient occlusion and less like an
> averaged object pattern. With the latter you can apply colors and patterns to
> outside edges as well as the inside ones. With the former you can only get
> inside edge information and can't do nifty things like scratch up a box's edges
> while leaving the sides untouched. I hope I'm wrong though :)

You're not - you're actually perfectly right.

Radiosity doesn't collect edge proximity information (it doesn't need
it), only crevice proximity - which I think is the more important of the
two. (As you wrote, there's always a trade-off somewhere.)

For a full-fledged stand-alone proximity algorithm, I guess a voxel-tree
based approach would do fine. But that would mean a lot more of coding
effort - and somputational overhead for data that can't be shared with
any other features.

(BTW, someone's asking in povray.newusers for advice on your fastprox
macros... and speaking of them, do you have them for download anywhere?)