POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rusty Thing on Beach : Re: Rusty Thing on Beach Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rusty Thing on Beach
From: clipka
Date: 22 Aug 2009 19:43:49
Message: <4a9082b5@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge schrieb:
>> To accomplish its task efficiently, radiosity needs to keep track of how
>> far other objects are. Isn't it a shame to leave this information to
>> radiosity alone, when it would come in handy for a proximity pattern?
>>
>> This shot is proof of that concept.
>
> And a good proof it is! I do like proximity patterns :)
>
> To be truly useful though, the effect must be a pattern or a function so you can
> use it in any material block.
>
> Will the effect remain the same even if you change the camera settings?

I guess details may suffer when too far away from the camera (due to
radiosity code maintaining some maximum sample density, which depends on
distance from camera), but they'll just get less precise, and don't seem
to "shift" (that was a problem initially).

See attached shot.

One thing that bothers me though is that the proximity pattern is highly
sensitive to final-render-sampling artifacts, so it requires a
higher-resolution pretrace.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'proximity.png' (215 KB)