POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Computer bug (WIP) : Re: Computer bug (WIP) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer bug (WIP)
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Aug 2009 14:46:28
Message: <4a8d9a04$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
>> I'm also pretty sure that technically, a "bug" means a germ, not an
>> insect. :-)
>
> I'm pretty sure you're wrong - except as a secondary (or, rather,
> tertiary) meaning.

I meant, entomologists won't use the word in a technical conversation - they
will use the term "insect" or "arachnid" or whatever is appropriate.
Doctors, however, will refer to infectious microbes as "bugs" to distinguish
them from non-infectious microbes. (Just like someone programming computers
won't refer to a program correctly following specs that differ from what the
customer actually wanted "a bug", even if the customers might call it that.)

Of course informally a "bug" is a small insect-like creature.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."