POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Handbell : Re: Handbell Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Handbell
From: clipka
Date: 18 Aug 2009 12:13:09
Message: <4a8ad315$1@news.povray.org>
CShake schrieb:
> I'm going to try to add 'rings' on the inside though, as evidence
> of the lathe tool used to shape the metal.

Are you sure these things are produced on a lathe? I'd actually expected
them to be drawn.

>> You should also do something to the belt, to break up the "sterility".
>> Some leather-like crackle normals (with an offset value) maybe.
> It is supposed to be fairly smooth plastic, but it does need something.

For plastic it's quite an unusual color.

> I found that using rad brightness 1.0 made a huge bright glare on the
> side of the bell, which also suggests that there is too much reflection.

Are you using conserve_energy? If not, then you should.

> Another reason the lighting is a bit odd is that I added a spotlight a
> ways behind the camera to illuminate the inside, as increasing the
> ambient of the light probe made the whole thing glow.

Define "whole thing". Are you talking about the light probe, or the bell?
> Right you are, I rotated the probe and got the same effect. I wasn't
> sure though, since I had to convert it to spherical mapping in HDRShop,
> as b33 doesn't support map_type 7.

Expect HDRShop to make a perfect job, too. I never had any trouble
(except that I found I needed to flip left/right when using spherical
mapping with a converted probe instead of map type 7 with the original,
and I think it also needed some N*90 degrees of rotation).