POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Having fun ... : Re: Having fun ... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Having fun ...
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Aug 2009 03:47:52
Message: <4a890b28$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike Raiford" <mraXXXiford.at.@g1023mail.com> schreef in bericht
news:4a88a4a5$1@news.povray.org...
> clipka wrote:
>
>> Still, I really don't like shots /without/ any focal blur. Aside from
>> giving a sense of scale, it also gives a sense of depth, and helps add
>> emphasis to some elements of the image (by literally putting them in
>> focus), so you lose a lot if you don't use at least some subtle focal
>> blur.
>
> Yep :) very true, the image seems to look flat w/o any sort of blurring.
> Blur does give a hint of depth.
>
> Someone in this thread mentioned they liked to use fog. I abhor fog in
> rendering. Only when it is very, very light like the haze of mountains in
> the distance does it make sense to me... That also conveys scale, imo. Too
> much fog makes the image murky, to me.

And that is exactly what I mean in the first place! "some subtle focal blur"
(Clipka) "very light like the haze of mountains" (Mike). Whatever technique
used, it should be almost imperceptible to the eye, or at least not impede
upon the overall meaning of the image, and highlight the important parts of
it.

Thomas