POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Having fun ... : Re: Having fun ... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Having fun ...
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Aug 2009 03:19:38
Message: <4a89048a@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> schreef in bericht
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> Consider the cat. When looking at a photograph, or a painting, one wants
>> understand the intentions of the artists (not always clear, I agree). Why
>> did he do this? Or why did he not do that?
>
>  Just because *you* don't understand the photo doesn't mean that it's
> not a valid piece of art.

Of course not! I don't pretend to be a universal judge :-) However, the
point is not that. In the case of the cat, my first reaction is: "Work out
of focus" and not (as imo it should be): "Cat. Contact. Expression". The
technical blur dominates so much that it takes away the emotional link the
image should create.

>  I'd say that if a photograph evokes emotion or thought, that's art.
> And this photograph has clearly succeeded in exactly that.

To return your statement, just because *you* understand the photo doesn't
mean that it is a valid piece of art :-)
I know, this is not a fair answer but  I could not resist. Again, if I am
immediately overwhelmed by a technical detail in the image, I cannot
appreciate it properly.

>  (One could argue that if a photograph only evokes thought about the
> artistic value of the photograph itself, rather than what the photograph
> is trying to convey, that's not art. Once again, that's a subjective
> question of opinion. One could even call that "meta-art".)

I agree.

Thomas